Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Why uncreative people copy creative people


In an age where one can access multitudes of information within seconds, one can also marvel at the creative works of others posted on the world wide web for all to see. This also means that, to an extent, one can copy or rip off those works with a certain degree of anonymity. I mean, who's going to know, right?

What I don't get is why uncreative people do what I've previously mentioned. I understand that in this day and age, there's not much room for originality, but ripping off someone's work, changing the layout/font colours/etc., slapping your name on it and posting it on the internet? Come on.

As far as I know, there isn't another "Things I Don't Get" blog on Blogspot, but I don't know; however, if I were to come across a blog like mine, I would either a) chide them for copying my blog if it was around after mine, or b) delete/alter my blog to make it original.

It's a completely different story, however, when something like the following happens:

Person A writes a blog about things that anger them. Now, Person B posts a blog about things THEY hate and advertises it in their sig on a forum that myself and the other two people I've mentioned frequent. Assuming that 1) Person A's blog has been around longer and 2) Person B willingly copied the idea from Person A's blog, it makes my point painfully obvious.

So why can't people just be original? I mean, is it really that hard?

Actually, I could spiral into a tangent of the percentage of people with below-normal intelligence, but I don't know that I'd like to sit at the computer for that long.

Anyway, I think a big part of it has to do with the shield of anonymity that computers provide. People can go, "MUAHAHA. I AM MONKEYMAN3656 AND I WILL STEAL THIS ARTWORK AND CALL IT MY OWN" simply because either they can or because it's a lot easier than it is in real life to steal things on the interwebz.

-sigh- Seriously, people. Despite the fact that it's so easy to steal other people's work and slap your name on it to post on the internet, don't. Just...don't. Otherwise, it prompts people like me to write blog entries like this.

Oh, and if you're reading this blog and happen to know of another like it, let me know, would you?

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry but "list of things I hate" is NOT original.

    ReplyDelete